Weekly Writing Challenge: And Now For Something Completely Different
My friend, Bobby, always told me never to lend money to Nicaraguans. That was always my philosophy, too..never a lender or a borrower be. But, what would happen…if no one cared? Marina would go without a needed operation to remove a cyst on her thyroid gland because the public hospitals, where treatment is free, use dirty machetes to cut out unwanted tumors. (only a slight exaggeration) A building contractor would pass on a terrific opportunity to be the jefe (boss) of a construction crew in a $250 million dollar resort because he couldn’t afford to be bonded. A pig farmer would have to let the pigs starve for lack of food. A taxi driver would not be able to provide for his family because the taxi drivers were on strike. When faced with these situations…what would you do? Would you care?
I wonder what would happen…if everyone cared. Would it make our world a better place, or would the passion of caring destroy us all…or at the least send us to the poor house?
My Top Ten Scenarios: What Would Happen…If Everyone Cared??
1. We’d have stories with happier endings.
2. We’d be dead in days. We should be grateful some are apathetic.
3. We’d be eating cat food because no one returned our money.
4. Real heroes would be redefined. There would be a rush on the sale of red capes.
5. We would all become insomniacs. Worrying about everyone would be exhausting.
6. Causes would quadruple.
7. We would all take responsibility for our own lives. The “Blame Game” would disappear like eight track tapes.
8. Politicians would stop sabotaging the economy, our environment, and our rights as human beings on this planet.
9. Chaos would ensue! Too many people caring about one another would be confusing. How would one prioritize the cause?
10. Passion would be the hallmark of our lives.
As you can see, there is a ying and yang to caring. I’ve never used a poll on my blog before. This is something completely different to me. Do you care enough to take my poll and add to my list?
The third option covered by the palm tree says, “I don’t know and I don’t care”
Since this poll is new for me, I don’t know how to fix it, yet. 🙂
If you are wondering whether we will have our money returned, I believe that people are inherently good. The contractor had a lawyer create a document that stated if he did not return the money he borrowed, his motorcycle was ours. Our taxi driver is paying us back by giving us free taxi rides in exchange for the money borrowed. Marina’s operation was successful, and she will pay us back the first of November….she always does. Baby piglets are on the way. As soon as they are sold, we will have our money returned. Living in Nicaragua is good…retiring abroad is better… caring for others is priceless.